About the Book – Journeys into Justice
During this time of social and economic crisis, Journeys into Justice is a vital resource for building collaborative organizations for positive change. The book is written to empower groups of people to accomplish social justice. It is a book of hope and practical wisdom. Journeys into Justice is organized in three parts.
Part One, Context and Viewpoint, introduces the reader to the concept of collaboration and why religious collaboration is unique and powerful. This part of the book deals with:
- Why religious collaboration is important now;
- The unique nature and meaning of religious collaboration;
- Collaboration founded on shared values, vision, commitment;
- Collaboration that builds trust, cooperation, resource sharing, strategic planning, moral power, ethical action.
Part Two, Case Histories of Religious Collaborative Organizations, presents ten successful religious collaboratives that have brought about social transformation.
- The ten case histories deal with social justice issues of immigration, living wage, affordable housing, economic development, juvenile justice, care of creation, worker justice, family empowerment, legislative advocacy, and civic leadership;
- Three are religious collaboratives working at the local level, three at the regional level, and four at the national level to achieve positive change in public policy and social-economic systems..
- The case histories show how religious collaboration as an organization of organizations reaches out to connect smaller local primary groups with larger institutions, serves as a conduit of ideas, builds aggregated people power, influences policy-making, and serves the common good.
Part Three, Putting Ideas into Action, focuses on learning from these successful collaboratives and provides resources that can be helpful in creating new collaboratives or strengthening existing collaboratives. In this section you will find:
- How religious collaboratives contribute to social transformation
- Best practices of ten successful religious collaboratives
- Basic considerations in forming a religious collaborative
- Ten commitments for strengthening religious collaboration
- Resource materials for active collaboration
- Biblical affirmations for collaborative social justice
- A Social Creed for the Twenty-first Century
- Websites and contact information for the ten collaboratives.
- List of books related to collaboration for social transformation